Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Quick Tea Cosy out of a Mug Rug

Wisconsin is cold in the winter, but this is ridiculous. My thermometer reads -15 degrees and the Weather Channel is says it feels like -49 degrees! I don't remember it ever being this cold. Ever. 

Light bulb!

So when I made tea this morning, I wanted it to stay hot. Really hot. I have been meaning to make a tea cosy for my teapot, but hadn't gotten around to it.

For my birthday my mom had made me some mug rugs. They are very nice for breakfast tea and muffins. The backside is made from a soft flannel which makes it insulated. I figured I could spare one for a re-purposed project. I headed to my sewing machine to make a tea cosy before my tea cooled off.


Impromptu Project




I had some hair elastics I keep on hand for various projects. I grabbed four of them, one for each corner.





I attached them securely with a zig zag stitch and trimmed the loose threads.


5 Minutes later...


 With my tea pot in the middle, I looped the elastics around the top of the cover.


And, voila! A Quicky Tea Cosy!


And my tea wasn't even cooled off yet.


This project took me like 5 minutes. So quick. And I re-purposed a really cute thing I will use day after day. If you don't have a mug rug, how about a pot holder or thick towel? Keep thinking and adapting to your own style.


 Now my tea will stay warm, even in the sub-zero weather.

Do you have a good re-purposed idea?  Post it below!

No comments:

Post a Comment